Yogi diet: So how’s that no-wheat thing going?

October 28, 2011
tags: ,

Hey, thanks for asking! It’s going great!

Wheat, via the Guardian

I’ll admit up front I fell a tiny bit off the wagon last weekend; we had a little bread, cheese and some tapanade for dinner last Friday. But otherwise, there’s been no wheat — not even while I was in Vegas.

That’s not bad since it was Oct. 4 that I officially started this little experiment.

So, what conclusions am I drawing? (Again, thanks for asking!) These:

• I don’t feel particularly different or better. It’s not like there’s been an energy boost or I’m sleeping better or my mind is clearer.
  • My appetite has, however, changed pretty dramatically. I’m definitely less hungry, and there are fewer highs and lows — meaning I don’t suddenly crater into a ravenous maw. And that really was what we were trying to determine, so on that front the idea that wheat spikes your blood sugar and stimulates your appetite beyond where it should be seems proven — at least in me.
  • I suspect, as a result of the calmed appetite, I’m consuming several hundred calories less than I was. That doesn’t necessarily mean I’ve lost a ton of weight, though. Maybe a few pounds, but that is coming off of an August and September when I did lose in the neighborhood of 10 pounds, for whatever reason.
  • It does seem — to go all self-in-the-mirror on you — that fat is burning off, and I assume being replaced by something akin to muscle. (That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.)
  • I maybe, maybe, felt like my appetite reverted a bit after eating the bread on Friday. But it was Monday when I felt like I wanted more food, and that seems like a long delay. So I’m not sure the two are related.

This all is pretty well in line with how I was feeling about two weeks into this test. (My worry then about feeling less flexible has subsided; the hamstrings seem looser again.) And my conclusion then — that I’ll put wheat/bread on the “something to consume every now and then, and savor it” list — holds up.

Probably the most important conclusion, though, is this: I’m not really missing bread very much. Normally, on a day with a Led Primary class under my belt, I would have gone and grabbed a sandwich for lunch. But I’m OK with a salad, as long as maybe there is something a little “carbie” to it — beans, hummus, something like that.

And if I can reach this place, then, I absolutely promise you, so can you.

1. Jason permalink
    October 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Steve,

I’m curious, are you getting your gram-per-pound of bodyweight per day in protein?

(I.e. fist-and-a-half protein per meal?)

Body comp/satiety/insulin sensitivity all improved by increased protein plus wheat elimination — of course by what I mean ‘cereal grains,’ i.e. wheat plus barley, oats, legumes, corn, and soy …

And no I’m not suggesting a ‘low-carb’ diet.

j

• October 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Jason.

I’m pretty sure I am — the amount of vegetables we eat (thank you Vitamix!) is HUGE, and there’s an unexpected amount of protein there (broccoli, etc.) And a bit of soy, although not every day. And I do maybe eat too many nuts!

So, I think I do always get some protein. Not as much as back in the pure weight-lifting days, though! No more protein shakes. :)

• October 28, 2011 11:40 pm

I also want to add: Coffee has protein, right?

• Jason permalink
        October 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Uhhh … are you kidding about the broccoli and nuts/protein? Can’t tell.

Coffee is a vital source of Shakti, of course.

• October 28, 2011 11:54 pm

No, I’m serious about the vegetable-based protein (broccoli in particular). Bobbie and I are also mostly/mainly raw, so I’m sure I’m getting 15 to 20 servings of vegetables per day.

I assume — and it seems from our experience — that we process the protein and other nutrients more effectively via the raw food. So… maybe I need the equivalent of a handful of protein, not hand-and-a-half, because we make better use of it?

I certainly don’t seem to have unusual protein cravings (like I did when weight lifting).

But I’m willing to listen to more. You’re suggesting soy / legumes as protein source, I assume?

• Jason permalink
        October 29, 2011 12:14 am

Steve,

Sounds like a lot of veggies! Where are the protein and fat coming from?

The lectin in soy/legumes, as well as the phytic acid (antinutrient) in soy make them very problematic as a food source (unless as heavily fermented condiment), just details to consider re: the quantities you consume.

It sounds like you’ve got your protein sources down with the Vita mix!

j

• October 29, 2011 12:31 am

I can’t even believe the amount of veggies. And not very much soy really (that was a victim of the no-wheat, as I mainly had soy milk with cereal).

And hopefully there is not fat!

But, as for protein — I really think we’re getting it from the veggies. Spinach and broccoli seem to have a fair amount.

I’m hoping Bobbie will jump in and explain this better.

She did write this a while back: http://theconfluencecountdown.com/2011/09/25/the-stages-of-the-yogi-diet/

• Jason permalink
        October 29, 2011 7:21 am

Sounds great Steve, thanks for sharing. The Vita mix sounds like a serious piece of equipment!

best,
        j

2. October 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Steve has shamed me into replying, Jason. I’ve been on the diet quite a bit longer than Steve (four years or thereabouts). For both of us, it’s doctor-supervised. I want to stress that. She watches us closely. When I told her I keep getting the “Where do you get your protein?” question, she suggested I answer, “Where does the cow we eat get it?” or any other herbivore for that matter. Steve’s right. It’s quantity. Massive quantities of leaves and seeds.

-Bobbie

3. December 14, 2011 8:21 am

That insight solves the pbreolm. Thanks!

1. A conspiring life: Days away from the mat « The Confluence Countdown
  2. Yogi diet: Is soy the reason for those few extra pounds? « The Confluence Countdown
  3. The celiac disease test results are back. And they say… | YogaRose.net