Soon after the New York Times magazine article came out about how yoga can wreck your body, YogaRose put together a nice list of the initial responses.
In the past day or so there have been some more, including the Beast piece we discussed earlier.
Here’s a smattering of what people are saying:
- Five tips to avoid injuries, plus a list of other activities that can hurt you (that seems to be a popular way to respond), via the Huffington Post.
- A piece at Yoga Journal, which ought to have some response.
- A Salon piece holds out hope that the book upon which the article is based is more nuanced. That seems a fair bet — it’s longer, after all.
- Patricia Walden has posted a response from the president of the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States here.
- Another HuffPo piece. Perhaps the editors need to talk more there.
Two strange things. I don’t see anything at Elephant Journal and the New York Times, itself, hasn’t done anything on the reaction. I wouldn’t expect a full-on story, but I’m amazed none of the related blogs — on health or on the magazine, itself — picked it up.
Maybe they will.
Posted by Steve