On that 1% of Ashtanga — best to go to the ‘source’?

Over the weekend, we started to amass a pretty decent “library” of books all yogis and Ashtangis should read.

It mainly is in the comments section. (You should still feel free to add more.)

Coincidentally or not, this morning I got an email with this subject line: “Authentic Books on Hinduism at $5 or Less.”

It was from ExoticIndia.com, and it linked to books on Krishna, Hanuman, other Hindu deities and, interestingly, “Original Texts Translated into English.” These run a gamut from the Hanuman Chalisa to the Adityahrydayam (which Rama recites before his battle with Ravana) to the Bhagavad Gita to Narada’s Aphorisms on Bhakti.

Pretty darned exhaustive, in other words. (Many supposedly for less than $5.)

It got me thinking again of just how deeply one can dive into the 1% of the Ashtanga theory, forgetting the other 99% of “practice.”

No wonder Guruji talked about it taking so many lifetimes. (Have I seen him saying as many as 10,000?)

Perhaps, though, studying English translations of these “source” — there’s that word again — texts would cut that down by a handful or so? If so, I just have to determine which text to study next. (Eddie Stern’s Namarupa journal is on the list, too.)

Of course, I finally made the mistake this weekend of beginning the first book of “A Song of Ice and Fire.” So my higher self may have some competition.

Posted by Steve

Advertisements

Published by

theconfluencecountdown

Two Ashtangis write about their practice and their teachers.

One thought on “On that 1% of Ashtanga — best to go to the ‘source’?”

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s