How to deal with yoga workshop burnout?

Next weekend, our “householder duties” willing, Bobbie and I will attend three of the four sessions that Kino MacGregor — you’ve heard of her, right? — is leading out here in Los Angeles during a workshop. We’re signed up for (but may not make) a Led Primary, a session on arm balances and then one on backbends. (We knew we couldn’t make her Mysore class.)

Via gpb.org

I’m “meh” about it. Not because it’s Kino, because of the timing and … other things.

We just attended the Confluence, and before that spent an afternoon with Dena Kingsberg. We’ve had more intense runs of workshop schedules, but … perhaps it is still the lingering Yatra effects, which have us realigning and shifting our asana priority.

I’m just not that psyched.

Attending what is advertised as her first workshop in Los Angeles fits our ongoing yoga “practice;” “practice” here in the sense of our approach to learning. We try to take advantage of being in LA, through which a fair amount of teachers pass: Dena, Tim Miller, Annie Pace, David Williams, David Swenson, Danny Paradise. I know we missed Manju Jois once. (I am now having a “first world yogi problem” sign flash in my mind’s eye.)

Our expectations heading into these workshops are always realistic. We don’t expect our practices to be substantially altered by any of these workshops. We’re solidly in line with what Tim’s taught us and where that teaching is leading. But you can pick up a few ideas here and there, a few things to try.

Mostly we go for the parampara and to delve into the 1% of the practice. The other 99%, while it can always be tuned up, isn’t often going to get a major overhaul. (I don’t think we’re closed off to that idea, but we don’t go in to any of these workshops expecting it.)

I’ve only been disappointed in one, and even then there was something valuable to be learned in that disappointment.

We like to learn, too. Yoga, philosophy, writing, politics, cooking, public policy, art, architecture, etc. We’ve dived into a bunch of subjects over the years, and we keep diving.

Kino, you might notice, represents a different generation (I’m choking myself even as I use that word) from our usual workshop leaders. I expect to hear something new or different, based on that alone, and that ought to lift the enthusiasm levels. But …

I should be clear: I’m sure we will learn stuff. Tips on backbends, for instance, are always welcome. And we particularly like hearing how different people lead Led classes.

I just can’t escape the “enough is enough, I just want to practice” feeling.

At the same time, I also recognize two other important factors:

  • As noted above, we’re fortunate that every few months, at least, someone worth seeing comes through Los Angeles. (We’re also just 100-mile drive from Tim; lots of his students are much farther away.)
  • Given I’m practicing at home, I should be more up for these opportunities, to get an adjustment or two or three.

Maybe by this time next week I’ll be all psyched up, as I should be.

Posted by Steve

Advertisements

Published by

theconfluencecountdown

Two Ashtangis write about their practice and their teachers.

4 thoughts on “How to deal with yoga workshop burnout?”

  1. You won’t be disappointed. Kino is funny, smart, educated, knowledgable, experienced, compassionate, strong,dedicated…
    I always say after a workshop is when the work begins/continues! Too bad you’re missing Mysore with her!

    1. I always find the Mysore classes in these types of workshops the least helpful. The teacher doesn’t know your practice, so you get the usual adjustments. That’s, at least, been my experience. So it’s the one I’m least disappointed in missing.

      S

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s